most commonly used Linux version?

Andrew Scott Beals andrew.beals at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 11:32:14 CDT 2011

RH was first to the party with big support contracts.  They managed to get the mindshare of the ISVs and the 3rd party hardware folks.  Thus, if you're paying, you're running RHEL.  The cheapskates are running CentOS and they're suffering along … folks running Cent4 have been finding out that it doesn't support modern hardware all that well (e.g. built-in ethers on Intel H55 mobos), yet they're stuck with it as the APIs and better yet Perl packages changed enough (and some 3rd party freeware vendors withdrew support, going to a paid model) going to Cent5/RHEL5 that they're stuck on 4 until they put some brainpower behind it.  (JH wouldn't know of anyone like that, no siree)

For desktops, I've seen companies that run on Ubuntu.  I've also seen developers at companies that run RHEL/Cent on their servers prefer Ubuntu for their development desktops.  It's all a matter of taste, and who set stuff up.  Mindshare at the C-level will often dictate what goes on in the trenches, so we can't discount that.

Given my druthers, I put my essential services on *BSD boxen simply because they are so much more stable and less riddled with holes, from the filesystem to the services.