most commonly used Linux version?

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 12:36:50 CDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Haworth, Michael A. <
Michael_Haworth at pas-technologies.com> wrote:

> Sometimes I think that the mindset has been formed by corporate drones that
> ‘if we can’t pay for it (and pay *A LOT*!), then it’s not good enough for
> us.’

I don't disagree with you, but keep in mind that you will ALWAYS pay.
 TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch).  Remember, even if
the software is free there is always a cost.  The biggest cost is usually
labor, and what Microsoft has always argued (unsuccessfully) has been that
its expensive software saves you money on labor.

I certainly understand it when folks are suspicious of "free" solutions,
because whoever is pushing a "free" solution is obviously not aware of the
true costs.  Now, even when it comes to Linux and BSD there is still this
labor cost - the advantage that RHEL (and others) provide is the work
they've done to reduce this labor and the support they provide when the
local admins don't have the expertise to solve a problem.  There's also the
value of the extensive hardware testing and certification.

However, I do share your frustration when at times management goes with an
overly expensive solution because they seemingly feel that more expensive =
better.

Jeffrey.