Restating the case for keeping "User Data" on a physically separate drive or drives

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 13:59:31 CST 2009

How are "we" going to set that as a default practice?

As far as your idea goes, it's hardly new or novel.  It's also not
appropriate for the vast majority of people.  Why?  Because most people
_only have one hard drive_.  Laptops only have room for one hard drive, many
desktops only have room for one as well.  Many people can't afford the extra
expense or would prefer to spend their money on other things.

Also, using a second hard drive for user data storage is hardly a solution
for preventing data loss.  Everyone should be backing up their data to an
external device (preferably off-site) or removable media.  If you add a
second hard drive that's not going to help you if your computer shorts out
and fries the electronics.

Now, that all said, using a separate drive for the reasons you've stated is
certainly not a bad thing.  It can make installs and upgrades a bit easier,
and it does provide you a bit more extra safety should you have a root
volume failure (but obviously won't help you should your user volume fail).
What you've stated is very common practice on servers that provide user
services (or have application users).

But instead of spending energy promoting using a second hard drive, you
ought to be promoting backups.

Jeffrey.

--

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that