Restating the case for keeping "User Data" on a physically separate drive or drives

Joe Brouhard jbrouhard at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 14:41:20 CST 2009

I'll be honest.

A second hard drive for user data only is a decently ideal practice if you
have the technological know-how, as well as are paranoid about your data.
However for the common user, this practice really doesn't do them any
justice.

from my experience, this practice won't do you much good, even with
Windows.  I've found that when i've had PC crashes with Windows 98 (god that
was ages ago) my secondary drive also crashed with the primary.  linux, the
same thing can happen if you're not careful.  I know there's been advances
in how ext3 and the new ext4 file systems recover data, but it's not
fool-proof.  Backups are your friend, and thats what people should always
do.

As far as servers go.. You ALWAYS keep the OS on it's own partition.  may it
be either a physical partition on a single hard drive, or a software
partition on a spanned array.  Data goes in it's own drive.   (I should
follow that with my new dedicated boxes...)

--
Joe Brouhard
jbrouhard at gmail.com