Router Problem

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 00:52:08 CST 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 12:06 AM, Jim Herrmann <kclug at itdepends.com> wrote:
> Well, now back to my original problem.  I have two run of the mill routers.
> I have a LinkSys WRT54G router/WAP that is connected to the cable modem.  My
> shop building is too far away (120+ft) from the Linksys to make an effective
> wireless connection out here, but I have ethernet running from the Linksys
> to the shop building.  I have an old Netgear
> WGR614 router/WAP that I can stick on the end of the ethernet cable, and I
> can establish a network connection, I can get to the internet, etc.  That's
> all cool.  The problem I have is that I can't get to our shared drive
> (Buffalo Link Station NAS), which uses SMB, that has the bulk of our music
> on it.  I could live without it, but it would be nice to have, and still be
> wireless.  So, how do I configure the Netgear to "pass thru" the SMB
> traffic.  I guess I want to set The Netgear up as a bridge, but donot see
> any way to do that.
>
> Any thoughts on that one?

You definitely want the WGR614 as a bridge.

This looks useful :
http://kbserver.netgear.com/inquira/default.asp?ui_mode=answer&prior_transaction_id=9367&action_code=5&highlight_info=16777288,42,46&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fkbserver.netgear.com%2Fkb_web_files%2FN101496.asp&answer_id=117494146#__highlight

also

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=6776

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin