Router Problem

Jim Herrmann kclug at itdepends.com
Tue Jan 27 00:06:15 CST 2009

Well, now back to my original problem.  I have two run of the mill routers.
I have a LinkSys WRT54G router/WAP that is connected to the cable modem.  My
shop building is too far away (120+ft) from the Linksys to make an effective
wireless connection out here, but I have ethernet running from the Linksys
to the shop building.  I have an old Netgear
WGR614 router/WAP that I can stick on the end of the ethernet cable, and I
can establish a network connection, I can get to the internet, etc.  That's
all cool.  The problem I have is that I can't get to our shared drive
(Buffalo Link Station NAS), which uses SMB, that has the bulk of our music
on it.  I could live without it, but it would be nice to have, and still be
wireless.  So, how do I configure the Netgear to "pass thru" the SMB
traffic.  I guess I want to set The Netgear up as a bridge, but donot see
any way to do that.

Any thoughts on that one?

Thanks,
Jim