Networking question - perhaps OpenWrt might be the right tool?

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sun Jun 15 11:16:20 CDT 2008

Oren,

We do this kind of setup for amusement parks where the games and attractions
need to communicate with a central bank server.  We've found that it matters
a _LOT_ what hardware you use.  There are a lot of units out there that just
won't cooperate with this kind of setup.

We use a very expensive (~$600) Cisco central access point with a couple of
~$100 antennas, and Lynksys WET200 routers as wireless-to-wired remotes.
Trying to do it with cheap hardware, we ended up spending a lot of money on
hardware we couldn't use.

Not all of the sites have used the Cisco though, I'll check with our field
engineer tomorrow on what else has been tried.  We require wired-equivalent
reliability, which it doesn't seem you would need, so a less expensive and
not quite as reliable system might work for you.