PCLOS Problems

Julie betelgeuse67stang at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 12 13:35:46 CDT 2008

First I want to thank _*all*_ who have [in earnest] tried to help me.

Now for answers to all who posted in Kclug Digest, Vol 47, Issue 9:

--->Luke wrote:

On Wednesday 11 June 2008, Julie wrote:

> $64,000 QUESTION

Do we really get $64,000 for answering?!

***Luke, here's a tiny little "clue" for you:

Everyone likes a little @zz once in a while, but no one *really* likes a wize @zz.

Capisce?

--->Then Bradley wrote:

Yes, in monopoly money.

***Thank you, Bradley, for the quick pick up on that! LOL! :))  :)) :))

--->Jeffery added his $.02 worth [and then some] with a good natured "lecture" on
the fact that I need to learn the command line and why.

***...Nothing I didn't already realize on my own, though. ;)

Gave me some much needed CLI information which I am _quite_ thankful for.

He then asked if anyone knew 'of a good book or web tutorial for' me.

GOOD IDEA, Jeffery! :D

***I had a friend of mine buy me Linux for Dummies last year. But it came with an
 _installation *ONLY*_ CD of Fedora 8 and is geared specifically to it. I still have it
around because it does have SOME CLI in it. But I wonder if it applies to PCLOS
...or even *ubuntu???

Unfortunately, a free web tutorial is the only thing I can afford at this moment
in time. :(

--->Ron chimed in with:

Unlike almost every other operating system, the command
line in Unix is extremely useful and powerful.

Command line in DOS/Windows is usually a much faster way to
get things done. I still jump into it for a variety of OS
things. MS got the message (pros prefer prompts) and
improved their 'shell' via Windows PowerShell.

***Guys, I don't even know anything about WINDOZE CLI. :(
... ... ..."msconfig" and "regedit" is about it. :|

--->Jeffery then answered Ron with:

Yes, but the default shell SUCKS DONKEY NUTS. .....etc.,
etc., etc. .....

*** I must look up the term 'cmd.exe' and learn about THAT!   ;)

--->Christofer also answered Ron with:

The irony here is that Microsoft's next server release is slated to
include a GUI-less installation option.  I can't imagine managing a
Windows server without a GUI (I don't know, however, it it provides
one when using Remote Desktop Client).

***I agree with Christofer about GUIs. But, then again, of  COURSE I would
because that's all I know right now.    ] : )

--->Brian then informed us of our ISPs censorship practices in the fact that Time
Warner, etc. are all going to cease allowing access to Usenet newsgroups.

***Thank you, Brian, for the heads up on that handy little tidbit of info! That's good
to know... ;) But has it cleared snopes? LOL!  ] : )

--->Then Bradley answered Jeffery's "lecture" to me with some GREAT info about
a website where I can start TRYING to learn CLI.

***THANK YOU, once again, Bradley! I can't wait to wade into that site and see
what I can do with it!  :D

Now, before I could manage to get this sent off I get Kclug Digest, Vol 47, Issue 10.

It contains this from David:

The MS-DOS 2.0 (which could multitask a little: it could background  printing, itt might have been able to do pipe chains) reference guide  had an introductory section discussing command line file redirection  operator semantics, in which MSDOS was described as a UNIX.    I wish I still had that book around, I would like to scan the page and  post it for reference by link at moments such as now

***MEEEE TWO! I shudder to think about the books I donated to charity when Larry died that I NEED now!
I simply didn't know what they were and that I DID in fact need to keep them. <BLUSHING beet red!>

Now, about my computer:

Would ya'll like for me to just bring it to the next meeting so you can actually
EYEBALL the thing to SEE what it's *doing*?

Or should I just go ahead and *TRY* to do an OS re-install (by myself) so I can
try to actually *USE* the thing to start learning from the web site Bradley provided.

Right now that OS is all but completely FUBAR (to me anyway). Even though it'll
boot up, I can't use it for anything at all.

!!!!!THANK YOU  all, once again, for all the help and suggestions you've given me.

Sincerely,
Julie

P.S.: If this post looks weird, it's either Yahell acting up or something is going

 on with this Windoze machine of mine. I made the colossal mistake of trying Firefox on it. grrr!!!