Speaking of Desktops

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 29 17:28:43 CDT 2007

--- Ty Unes <riverty at kc.rr.com> wrote:

> As for eye-candy, definately beats anything
> I've ever seen. Brings a new level of
> workstation goodies to play with. True, it's
> a waste of system resources, but it didn't
> seems to slow my machine down much, if any.

This got me thinking: Linux can run, with minimal
hardware, the Beryl/Compiz desktop.  The only thing
you have to consider is the video card.

With all of Vista's extra resource requirements for
its DRM "Treacherous Computing" additions to Windows,
how on earth are you going to be able to find a PC
which can run both Vista *and* Aero?

I have visions of 5Ghz PCs with 2GB of RAM and a 512MB
nVidia card running Vista plus Aero at about the speed
of a 1Ghz PC running Linux.  Naturally such visions
frequently include customers who are annoyed about
this, and say, "Is there an alternative to this?"