Speaking of Desktops

Ty Unes riverty at kc.rr.com
Sat Sep 29 14:04:19 CDT 2007

I've played with Beryl and Compiz before the merge. I would only guess
that it's about the same after the merge. In my experience, it was
impossible to get any stability out of Beryl with an ATI card. Only
marginal stability with Compiz and an ATI card. Definately run an NVidia
card with this stuff. Compiz was very stable for me running an NVidia
GeForce 7950 GT (fairly heavy video card), while Beryl was not. It
seemed that there was certain settings that I could turn on and lock the
machine. If I stayed away from those certain settings, all was good.

As for eye-candy, definately beats anything I've ever seen. Brings a new
level of workstation goodies to play with. True, it's a waste of system
resources, but it didn't seems to slow my machine down much, if any. BTW
- I'm currently NOT running any of these addons.

As far as Vista, it sucks. Same with Microsoft products, they suck. I
work with both Linux and MS stuff all day long. MS stuff sucks. Am I
biased? YEA! With reason.