Say "Bye-Bye SCO!"

Joe Fish reverend.joe at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 09:38:56 CDT 2007

>  distributes GPL software (because I don't buy the idea that selling
> coupons redeemable at Novell constitutes 'distribution' any more than giving
> McDonald's gift certificates to my daughter would make me a restaurant).

It doesn't have to "make you a restaurant".  Does it, OTOH, to use a closer
analogy, make you "involved in conveying McDonald's gift certificates"?

GPLv3 has been re-written by smart guys SPECIFICALLY to try to make it so
what MS is doing IS considered "conveyance" of the covered software, and
therefore covered by the license.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, and think that kind of "logic" is
shaky AT BEST.  But law does not specialize in logic.  And, you and I ain't
lawyers, and even if we were, it STILL wouldn't matter what we thought --
just what a judge / jury thinks if the thing ever goes to court ....

Given the current US "IP" climate of "creating a copyrighted work gives you
absolute, ultimate, and total control of how anyone and everyone anywhere
talks, looks, sends, copies, or even THINKS about it" -- who knows what
might happen in such a circumstance ...

JOE