Say "Bye-Bye SCO!"

Monty J. Harder mjharder at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 09:35:39 CDT 2007

On 9/23/07, Joe Fish <reverend.joe at gmail.com> wrote:

>  distributes GPL software (because I don't buy the idea that selling
> > coupons redeemable at Novell constitutes 'distribution' any more than giving
> > McDonald's gift certificates to my daughter would make me a restaurant).
> >

> It doesn't have to "make you a restaurant".  Does it, OTOH, to use a
> closer analogy, make you "involved in conveying McDonald's gift
> certificates"?

But the gift certificates aren't food.  And a Novell support voucher isn't
GPLed software.  The argument that MS giving such a voucher is 'distributing
software' is just ridiculous, and I can't believe that otherwise reasonable
people are pushing it.

GPLv3 has been re-written by smart guys SPECIFICALLY to try to make it so
> what MS is doing IS considered "conveyance" of the covered software, and
> therefore covered by the license.

I don't see how it's possible.  Furthermore, I think that the FSF might have
gotten hustled.  This only plays into the "GPL is viral; if you use any GPL
software the FSF pwns j00!!!!11111" FUD.  Only it isn't entirely FUD anymore
with the FSF making such claims.