Say "Bye-Bye SCO!"

Monty J. Harder mjharder at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 19:00:49 CDT 2007

On 9/22/07, Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:

> > > a free download, called "Microsoft Services for Unix"

The GPL doesn't force automatic upgrades. If Microsoft started using it
> under
> GPLv2, nobody can stop them from continuing to use it under GPLv2.

If they're using GPL software (which isn't also offered under some other
license), then they have to distribute it, and any works derived therefrom,
under a GPL-compatible license (one which gives downstream all the rights
the GPL requires).  I don't believe that Microsoft distributes GPL software
(because I don't buy the idea that selling coupons redeemable at Novell
constitutes 'distribution' any more than giving McDonald's gift certificates
to my daughter would make me a restaurant).

However, as Linus has pointed out, anyone using software that is licensed
under "GPLv2" (as opposed to "GPLv2+") is required by the terms of the
license to distribute it downstream under GPLv2 or a compatible license.
GPLv3 is NOT compatible with GPLv2 because it imposes additional
restrictions upon those downstream users.  Only in the case where the
changes are deeded back to the upstream maintainer can the license be
changed to GPLv3.