Joe Fish reverend.joe at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 17:38:51 CDT 2007

No, I can't, that was my point.

I've read that there is conjecture that there may be conditions where it
does not -- such as before the big bang, during a "Big Crunch".

In other words, assuming the Universe existed before The Big Bang, there had
to exist some means of getting the universe to the state it was at the
beginning of The Big Crunch -- and if the universe that existed sometime
before that event was like ours (ie, always INCREASING in entropy), then
there are those that philosophize that there must be some conditions in
which that "old" universe went from a state of higher entropy (like our
universe now) to a state of lower entropy, or higher "order", ie, the
perfectly-ordered universe that consisted of all matter and energy at on
millionth of a pinpoint spot and the rest of all space-time consisting of
utter nothingness.

As I said, this is more a matter for quantum physicists and philosophers (I
sometime wonder if there is a difference ... ;^) than it is for me.

As an engineer, I consider the 2nd Law to be just that ... a LAW.

JOE