ultracapacitors are off-topic

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 22:05:42 CDT 2007

On 9/12/07, David Nicol <davidnicol at gmail.com> wrote:

> it is my understanding that recharge rate for lead-acid batteries is
> largely limited
> by cable size, and that practical quick-charge stations have been
> built which charge
> a stationary back-up pack, which is connected to an equivalent-voltage
> pack in
> the hobbyist's wheels, allowing a rapid recharge as the packs
> equalize.  Useful if
> you're delivering pizza in an EV or something like that.
>
> yawn
>
> an ev fueling station obviously has to have some kind of local store and
> pull
> a leveled load from the grid.

Actually - there are scenarios where the charge method is akin to the "Blue
Rhino" exchange cages for propane grill bottles.
That being explained in summary as -the customer turns in an empty gas
bottle and gets a filled one for a competitive price with a traditional
bottle refill station. Skipping further explanation of the propane game's
economics we go back to EV power packs.

Think of a standard "Robowash" lane. Same guide rails etc but a floor hatch
akin to a quick lube bay lurks awaiting orders to swap power bricks. SO the
user experience is comparable to a car wash replacing liquid fuel filling
pumps etc. Where does this connect back to previous thread topical? Ok more
OOTB time.

The Out Of The Box application is where those racks of CHARGED energy
modules are tappable for grid floated inverters.
Further consider EVERY home EV as one element of a distributed grid peak
shaving system. The dividends come from software setting the Where and When
one charges or sells surplus energy. Time of use meters for paying all
parties properly already are deployed in many areas.

OF course the software gluing all this together needs to be Linux

Oren