Framing web pages

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Mar 29 12:05:25 CDT 2007

Oren Beck wrote:

> SO we have the ethics of theft being not only wrong in itself- but
> arguably making us -the technical class, passive accomplices. For
> failing to make it duly rewarded as the crime it is.
>
>  And furthermore- it's an opening for the Open Source world to PROVE
> that we are better at real security than the closed models ever can
> be.

You know, not everybody agrees with the traditional paradigm of
so-called "intellectual property." Some of us outright oppose the very
idea of "intellectual property." And the Internet community has rapidly
been moving towards our position, what with file-sharing and free/open
software.

The Web is based on openness. If you don't like people hotlinking to an
image on your server, put up some porn. Framing? This may be annoying,
but it shows that your site has content so good that others would
highlight it. I also wouldn't totally condemn framing. In some contexts,
this would actually boost traffic to your website.

Chuck