Framing web pages

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 14:22:46 CDT 2007

On 3/29/07, Chuck <chuck at mutualaid.org> wrote:
> Oren Beck wrote:
>
> > SO we have the ethics of theft being not only wrong in itself- but
> > arguably making us -the technical class, passive accomplices. For
> > failing to make it duly rewarded as the crime it is.
> >
> >  And furthermore- it's an opening for the Open Source world to PROVE
> > that we are better at real security than the closed models ever can
> > be.
>
> You know, not everybody agrees with the traditional paradigm of
> so-called "intellectual property." Some of us outright oppose the very
> idea of "intellectual property." And the Internet community has rapidly
> been moving towards our position, what with file-sharing and free/open
> software.
>
> The Web is based on openness. If you don't like people hotlinking to an
> image on your server, put up some porn. Framing? This may be annoying,
> but it shows that your site has content so good that others would
> highlight it. I also wouldn't totally condemn framing. In some contexts,
> this would actually boost traffic to your website.
>
> Chuck
>
> --------------------------
> Bread and Roses Web Design
> serving small businesses, non-profits, artists and activists
> http://www.breadandrosesweb.com/

While I totally agree on the unsettled nature of what "IP" rules
should or not be - My post was my attempt to direct consensus in a
"least harm and greatest good" path.

It's NOT the petty concern about the odd fool who link pests some Icon
on LiveUrinal;
It IS about the ownership of what a person creates. *YOU* being in the
design world should grok the concept. As in the degree of freedom one
trades for security. Or the reverse.
Ethics to render DRM  a moot point perhaps? We can dream eh?

To be pretty Blunt about it- the AUTHOR should have some retention of
control beyond the already accepted exceptions. Denial of author's
rights will stifle open exchange out of self defense in many cases.
But does it have to be so?
More on that in what I call the Garcia Vs Brooks logic sets.

Garcia: Ok folks-start your recorders this is the first time we're
playing this tune.

Brooks: Whinges to Congress about sales of used cd's dooming his kids
to public school.

Where we the Tech class come in is to direct a world order that allows
and CHERISHES the Garcia model while not spitefully ripping Brooks off
by blatant immoral THEFT.

Example one-Sell a used cd- yes.. Just like selling a book. Tell Garth
to grow up.

Example two -Host a torrent for "Author Authorised" music yes, A
tribute to Jerry it is.

Buy a new cd only 3 hours old- post on server- For shame you bad karma thief!

Do please tell me how you justify the last example or demonise the first 2?

It's close to the same in web content, MY point was directed more to
the following crimes.

"False claim of Authorship" You claim YOU wrote it when you know you did not.

"Theft of service that costs real money." Some hosting services CHARGE
per transfer Gb.

We can from this point either degenerate to bickering -or seek
consensus on what's ethical or not.

Choose Wisely.