OpenOffice

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sun Mar 11 12:47:22 CDT 2007

On Friday 09 March 2007 10:05:12 pm Kyle Sexton wrote:

> This probably isn't the best answer, but do you have a backup of any of
> the files?  If so then I think the OpenOffice format is basically just a
> zip file.  You could extract the documents and compare the 'innards' and
> see if there are any differences.

I doubt it.  The behavior seems to apply to any old (pre-Brother) documents,
so it would presumably apply to backups as well.  I feel like they're most
likely being corrupted when being opened by OO, or when being re-formatted to
the Brother configuration.  (That's just a guess, it could have nothing to do
with the Brother, but the problem started when I added it.)

> Of course, if it's corrupted the
> OpenOffice install this won't do any good.  Perhaps just a 'mv
> ~/.openoffice ~/.openoffice.backup' to blow away your configs and
> restarting (btw, those definitely aren't the right directory names :)).

What I did was completely remove OpenOffice and all related config files
(including ~/.openoffice), then do a fresh install.  No dice, same exact
behavior.

> PS - I will learn to reply to all eventually.

Um, yeah, my client defaults to replying to the list, and that way you don't
get two copies of the reply.  Using conventional usenet style quote marks (>)
and trimming irrelevant portions such as signatures and advertisements is
polite too.

Posting HTML format to a mailing list is generally considered bad form.  It
makes the messages harder to archive, takes up more than 2x as much space,
and is often trapped as spam.