OpenOffice

Kyle Sexton ks at mocker.org
Fri Mar 9 22:05:12 CST 2007

On 3/7/07, Jonathan Hutchins <hutchins at tarcanfel.org> wrote:

> Speaking of unsupported software...
>
> I recently added a new Brother laser printer to my network as the default
> printer.  Whether that had anything to do with it or not, suddenly
> OpenOffice
> can't open any of it's old documents.  It started out by crashing when
> asked
> to print, cycling through it's "recovering document", but then it started
> crashing as soon as the document was opened.  Strangely, this behavior
> happened on two different machines.
>
> I joined the #openoffice.org channel on Freenode, hoping for some help in
> troubleshooting this problem, and followed it for a couple of
> days.  Question
> after question was asked, and I saw very few answers.  An actual dialog
> appears in the channel this morning, but it certainly seems to be  a
> problem
> in search of a solution.

This probably isn't the best answer, but do you have a backup of any of the
files?  If so then I think the OpenOffice format is basically just a zip
file.  You could extract the documents and compare the 'innards' and see if
there are any differences.  Of course, if it's corrupted the OpenOffice
install this won't do any good.  Perhaps just a 'mv ~/.openoffice
~/.openoffice.backup' to blow away your configs and restarting (btw, those
definitely aren't the right directory names :)).

PS - I will learn to reply to all eventually.
--
Kyle Sexton