Kclug Digest, Vol 33, Issue 2

gary hildebrand wa7kkp at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 14:58:53 CDT 2007

Paper recycling is great for newspapers, periodicals, and other stuff, but
books . . . well, we should be finding a way and a place to preserve them.
I was trying to find information on an Apple IIc+ and found that most
libraries had pitched books on the Apple II's long ago.  Or try to find
information on cp/m . . . . ????

I have an extensive library on my Commodore VIC-20/C=64/C128 and Amiga
computers, information not readily available to Joe Sixpack computer user.
To simply give them away for recycling purposes is to throw away an
excellent source of information for kids who are into learning the do's and
don'ts of computers.  What better way is there to learn machine language
then on an 8 bit processor like the 6502, and let them develop their own
video games instead of spending megabucks on Xbox360, Nintendo's and Wii's.

Mayber a project such as scanning some of these gems to CD, for archival
purposes would be a much better idea.  I'd give anything to have my COMPLETE
collection of Compute's Gazette, Run, and even a few of the old Compute!
magazines at hand so I could sit and hack to my own delight.

Linux has a similar "hackers' paradise", but is a much much larger subject
to master with any degree of proficiency.  So go out to garage sales, pick
up- a commie 64 and start hacking.

Gary Hildebrand
St. Joseph, MO