KCLUG CSS

Dale Beams drbeams at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 15 08:47:10 CDT 2006

Good morning KCLUGers,

In the course of daily employment you hope every now and then you get
one of those really cool projects that challenge everything you know.
One of those were dropped in my lap, and the first thing I did was
appeal to the KCLUGers IRC channel for direction.  One of our forum
members (djgoku) suggested the web site http://www.csszengarden.com/ to
help in my learning curve.  What a great site for inspiration.

This got me thinking this KCLUG website.  I hopped over to KCLUG and
"viewed" source and the CSS behind it.  I understand it was quite a bit
of work to get the layout correct so it would display correctly in many
browsers.

I would like to propose a friendly unofficial "challenge" of sort, but
more of an "opportunity" for the members to strut your CSS stuff.
Beginner or Old sages alike, let's see what you can do.  Here are the rules:

1. Content remains the same.  Content being what you can visually see
when visiting the main page.
2. You must retain somewhere in some form the KCLUG penguin and the banner.
3. You may use other graphics as overlays, etc. so long as it is
original artwork.  You retain all the copyright to any additional
graphic or artwork you decide to include, with the understanding that if
your design is used in the future by vote or administrative declaration
KCLUG is allowed to use it free of royalties.
4. A design list needs to be added to showcase other people's designs
(similar to what css garden has done).
5. Self promotion can only be done "hidden" within the code itself.  No
frontal display.
6. The design is limited to the front page (however with css you are
designing a "look and feel" website layout.  isn't this what CSS is for :-))
7. It must pass W3 standards and WaSP standards as well.
8. Your CSS is posted to the list under the Subject "KCLUG CSS Design -
(Subject)".
9. You understand your CSS may not see the light of day outside of the list.
10. Have fun.

So, head over to CSS Garden, check it out and give it a whirl.  Who
knows, someone might spot your CSS and decide you are perfect for that
CSS development job in the tropics or mediterranean and fly you all over
the world spreading CSS goodness.

Dale Beams