linux distro for laptop

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 22 22:55:09 CDT 2006

While it is a genetic mutation of Debian, the new
"Freespire" distribution shows a little promise for
weirdo hardware.  The main difference between
Freespire and real Debian is that Freespire
deliberately includes proprietary (i.e., "non-free")
software, drivers, and codecs in its regular packages;
whereas Debian adopts a much more stringent
"free-only" approach to its packages, requiring you to
take additional steps to gain access to "non-free"
sections of Debian servers.

In other words, you are much more likely to find
weirdo hardware drivers in the "non-free" section than
in the "free" section.  Coincidentally, you are more
likely to find weirdo hardware on laptops, and be less
likely, if not unable, to swap out the weirdo hardware
for something Linux-compatible.

http://freespire.org/

--- steve trog <scuba_steve660022 at hotmail.com>