Organizing for ITEC

Jason D. Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Mon Oct 2 14:36:34 CDT 2006

On Monday 02 October 2006 11:03, RtX wrote:
> A good 75% of my calls deal with virus / adware / spyware issues that
> are slowing the machine down to a crawl. Most machines that I work on
> are P-4 Dell's.
>
> Sometimes I think the biggest hurdle Linux has is convincing people
> that good (great) software CAN BE FREE or low cost. They have this
> stigma that if it's free, it's probably junk and would rather pay a
> fantastic amount of money for MS Office because it makes them feel
> better.
>
> I'm sure there are other angles here. Just my 2-cents.

I think that the spyware and virus angle is a good one but it's not the whole
enchilada. I can think of three "WOW" factors that would really impress:

1) Both the GNOME and KDE desktops now automatically mount removable drives
and show them on the desktop. It would be nice to have a USB pen drive that
can be attached to a system, detached and then inserted in to a Windows
system to demonstrate that NTFS and FAT32 support is stable and
interoperable.

2) Both network-manager-gnome and knetworkmanager are stable enough to be used
in production. It would be neat to show people browsing wireless networks
with a tray applet and then connecting to one with WPA encryption.

3) Compiz and XOrg 7.1 just entered Debian. They are also available on Ubuntu
Edgy. It would be incredibly awesome to demonstrate this functionality in
advance of Vista coming out. This is the long-term "eye candy" solution. The
following video cards are supported, currently:

  * All Intel cards 900 and higher with open source drivers
  * All NVidia cards GeForce and higher with the 9xxx beta drivers.
  * All Radeons except the 200M with open source drivers (must use XAA)

--
Jason D. Clinton
Something clever goes on this line.