Organizing for ITEC

RtX riverty at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 11:03:13 CDT 2006

I would agree with Leo for the most part. I work in onsite computer
service so I'm working with the "general public" on their home systems
mostly. Kids are using computers to chat, email, send pictures, watch
videos / DVD's, and mp3's. Parents are using their machines for email,
pictures, and general net surfing. Parents like the thought of having
MS Office on the machine and will go and spend $299+ on geting MS
Office just so they can have MS Word, mainly because they simply don't
know any better. Every once in a while I run into someone who actually
uses Excel though they don't know much about it so the spreadsheets
are simplistic.

A good 75% of my calls deal with virus / adware / spyware issues that
are slowing the machine down to a crawl. Most machines that I work on
are P-4 Dell's.

Sometimes I think the biggest hurdle Linux has is convincing people
that good (great) software CAN BE FREE or low cost. They have this
stigma that if it's free, it's probably junk and would rather pay a
fantastic amount of money for MS Office because it makes them feel
better.

I'm sure there are other angles here. Just my 2-cents.