posting rules reminder

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Sun Nov 20 20:54:24 CST 2005

On Sunday 20 November 2005 21:18, Leo Mauler wrote:
> This brings up another point: some people have been posting to the list
> using some form of structured formatting language such as HTML.  I'm
> speaking of the lines on the side of the posting instead of > characters.

.quote {
	border-left: 2px solid blue;
	padding-left: 1ex;
}
So and so said,

... makes sense to me. Too bad KMail doesn't support it. HTML email is better
in general even without formatting, because it supports automatic line
wrapping. ;)

> These posts are darned difficult to format for someone else to read them,

If anything, they should be easier... Nothing makes > better than a line.

> at least in my webmail, because instead of converting the lines into >
> characters, the postingEnds up looking like this.And sticking sentences
> right next to each other.And doing it over and over again.Even if a new
> paragraph has been started.

Then that's a bug in your webmail or browser. The lines shouldn't *be*
converted, they should be displayed as usual. If the mail app is replying in
plain text, then it should use the plain text version of the original message
for the reply.

> Again, your E-mail application/webmail might force you to do so, but if
> we're talking clarity here its not very easy to reply to someone with HTML
> (or whatever that is) in their E-mail.

Simple rule: in a HTML reply, stick the original HTML within a <div>; for the
plain text reply, apply the usual reply filters to the plain text source
message.