posting rules reminder

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 20 15:18:16 CST 2005

--- Don Erickson <derick at zeni.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Nov 2005, Rick wrote:
> > If this is unacceptable, then someone in
> > charge please remove me. Otherwise, feel
> > free to feel superior =)
>
> You are in charge.  Post as you wish, stay if
> you like.  But understand that if you're posting
> for others to understand your point, clarity is
> your best friend.  If what you have to say is
> worth posting at all, why not make the minimal
> effort to present your views in the proven
> clearest method possible?

This brings up another point: some people have been
posting to the list using some form of structured
formatting language such as HTML.  I'm speaking of the
lines on the side of the posting instead of >
characters.

These posts are darned difficult to format for someone
else to read them, at least in my webmail, because
instead of converting the lines into > characters, the
postingEnds up looking like this.And sticking
sentences right next to each other.And doing it over
and over again.Even if a new paragraph has been
started.

Again, your E-mail application/webmail might force you
to do so, but if we're talking clarity here its not
very easy to reply to someone with HTML (or whatever
that is) in their E-mail.

(hmmm, no top posting, check; trimmed lines, check;
trimmed replied-to message, check; yup, this post is
within the guidelines.)