[OT] dynamic resolution web sites

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 8 14:40:40 CST 2005

--- Jason Dewayne Clinton wrote:

> On Tuesday 08 November 2005 08:33 am, Kelsay, Brian
> - Kansas City, MO
> wrote:
>
> > Netscape 8.0.4 shows text only.  No plug-in.
> > Mozilla 1.7.12 shows text only.
>
> Yea, Firefox 1.5 or greater.

Hmm that's odd. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
It works in my Mozilla 1.7.12 version, but the first
time I opened the page it complained about SVG and
fonts. I don't see an SVG plug-in, but there are lots
of plug-ins installed.

However, seeing the code of the page, I have to say so
what. The graphic is defined in ems. Any graphic
described as ems would size with the changing of size
in the font. However, I've never seen a graphic listed
as an object on a web page before. Still, it should be
possible to use style sheets with a web page and get
the graphic scaling achieved here. The only difference
I see, it the lack of pixelation of standard graphics.

While SVG is cool, I don't see much use for this on
the web. I consider it a publishing format or an
engineering format. But then I also don't like to see
website with flash either, so I'm definitely not in
the majority opinion group. ;')

Also, on another reply. If you are having difficulty
reading street names on a map output at 600 dpi, then
you're probably printing the map too small (or you
might need a magnifying glass). Commercial maps are
printed at resolutions of 300 dpi. Your problem isn't
pixel or point related. A point is printed out at
1/72". All printers do this. If your printer doesn't
then there is something wrong with your printer, or
you're not using printer fonts, or the map you are
printing is not to scale with the printer, or the
printer is configured to "shrink to fit". Remember you
can't rely on any web page being WYSIWYG.

JMHO,
Brian JD