[OT] dynamic resolution web sites

Jason Dewayne Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Tue Nov 8 09:41:29 CST 2005

On Tuesday 08 November 2005 08:33 am, Kelsay, Brian - Kansas City, MO
wrote:
> On my work PC, I can't view this image on IE
> 6.0.2800.1106xpsp2.050301-1526 after installing Adobe's SVG viewer.
> I do see that there is a box with a disabled scrollbar and I see the
> text.

Hum. That's very interesting. I just checked it on IE6 6.0.3xxx and it
seems to be working; could you check the Adobe[1] web site and see if
those work for you? IE will usually generate an empty box with a
disabled scroll bar when it encounters an object tag that it doesn't
have a plugin for. If it works at Adobe's site then I'll need to tweak
my code.

[1] http://www.adobe.com/svg/examples

> I have Firefox 1.07 also, which doesn't have a plug-in AFAIK.  I
> don't want to update this browser until it comes out of Beta.
> Mozilla 1.7.8 shows text only.
> K-Meleon 0.9 shows text only.

Yea, Firefox 1.5 or greater.

> Netscape 4.7 shows nothing

Thanks for testing this one but NS4 is dead. They have <0.1% of the
market left.

> Netscape 8.0.4 shows text only.  No plug-in.
> Mozilla 1.7.12 shows text only.

Yea, Firefox 1.5 or greater.

> Amaya 9.2.2 shows text only.  It is supposed to be able to show SVG,
> but it doesn't like that image on your site.

Unfortunately, Amaya has lots of problems. If they had more developers
they could probably come up with a nice test suite browser.

> Opera 8.5  Success!!  This is the only browser that actually shows
> the image for me.  And it scales!!  I didn't have a previous version
> of Opera installed to test, so I don't know how new this feature is.

Cool! Thanks for testing all of these!

I use digital signatures and encryption. My key is stored at pgp.mit.edu
0x8DB3BF09 FP: F628 D9D3 E57A C281 5EFE - 7DF7 B52A A393 8DB3 BF09