unmounting a volume

Duane Attaway dattawaykclug at dattaway.org
Mon Jan 10 10:16:59 CST 2005

I mounted the volume through the command line with the mount command.  I
found the hanging processes of sync had init as its parent.  Not sure why
I couldn't kill them.  I'm thankful the lsof utility was mentioned as it
found a few system libraries tying deleted resources to it, so there may
have been a bug in them.  Unloading the libraries (init 6!) finally did
it.  This is what I get for running development kernels and system.  Its
good to have utilities like lsof to understand why things go bad as it
turned my fustration into an enjoyable learning experience.

-=Duane
http://dattaway.org