unmounting a volume

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Jan 10 10:02:18 CST 2005

How did you mount the device? I get unmount issues with
usb file devices with some regularity.  I have closed
all file managers, and terminals I've had open with varying
success. Generally, logging out of KDE and back in does it
for me. Some bug in kfilemanager perhaps? I've never had a
command line hang as a result of this though. I have also
used ctrl-alt-bspace to kill X entirely, and all it's real
and imagined processes. Either of these techniques has always
worked for me. It is a bit extreme, if you ask me (even a bit
Microsftesque). Still it's better than rebooting, or walking
the process tree. Also you might try looking at ps and using
the option to display the child/parent relationship, but if
the problem is similar to mine this won't help.

Brian Densmore