anybody using SBC Yahoo DSL?

Chris Hoelscher jansdh at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 15:48:59 CST 2005

Well, I've been using them since the fold of Telocity also.  I have
never put their install disk in a single computer.  It is only needed
if you depend on remote support (them being able to log in to your
system).

You will need to register (which can be done from any browser session,
even dial-up) and then plug your account name and password into
whatever front-end you wish to use, using PPoE.  I've never even run
PPoE on Linux because I use a router.  So, one dynamic DSL link, using
my router to PPoE in, and then what I do behind the router is my
business.

I had a web server going for a while, and used DynDNS to manage that,
but have since moved it to 1and1 (on their free for 3 years kick-off).
 Never did do my own mail server, so no comment.

In a couple of rare events where I needed some tech support from SBC,
I just used a Win box and connected directly to the DSL router (XP
supports PPoE natively, several freewares for Win98), did the diags
and put the router back.  Not a big deal.

Two words of advice - look carefully at pricing options ( I'm getting
it for $19.95 this year since I took the All Distance package - made
sense this year) but more importantly, get familiar with the SBC forum
on DSLREPORTS.com - several actual SBC and AIC techs monitor that
board and offer GREAT help without having to deal with the 1-800
staff.

Bottom line, I'm very pleased, and that after working from home for 2
1/2 years full-time (VPN'ed into corp LAN).

Chris.