anybody using SBC Yahoo DSL?

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Jan 6 19:22:39 CST 2005

On Thu, January 6, 2005 12:42 pm, Brian Kelsay said:

> Current pricing is $26.95/month (1.5Mbps down) for a one yr commitment
> with free hardware and self-install.  The higher speed (3Mbps down) is
> avail. for $36.95/month and same free hardware and install.

Wow - except for the one-year commitment, that's a pretty good deal - both
appear to be cheaper than RoadRunner right now.  I think they advertize
$39.95, but it bills at just under $45.  I wonder what the 3M rate
actually bills at?

I have had two experiences with SBC DSL, both from the mid-90's.  One
location in Westport was an early adopter, and got a very nice, clean 1.5M
symetrical connection that was straight ethernet.

The other was in Raytown a couple of years later, and it was below 1.5M,
PPPoE, and did have some ports blocked/filtered.  I was never able to
connect with this system from the outside with any protocol, although the
end-user didn't report any problems I could attribute to SBC.

You refer to a lot of problems with RoadRunner service that I've never
encountered or heard of.  We've had a copuple of people here report
"frequent" minor outages, but most of us who've used it have had reliable
connections with uptimes (and DHCP leases) measured in years.

It seems like most of the technically savvy people I know use a different
host for their email than that provided by their ISP, and/or run a home
mail server.  It's true that kc.rr.com has had some horrible problems with
their servers, but that doesn't bother me because I don't rely on them.

If you use SBC's mail server, you will probably eventually be talking with
those folks in India.  PPPoE is also the kind of service where you're more
likely to have to deal with them than a straight ethernet link.

Looks like a heck of a good price though.  Maybe I should call TWC and see
what they have to say about it.