anybody using SBC Yahoo DSL?

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Thu Jan 6 18:27:42 CST 2005

Thanks to all the guys that responded today.  Two were off list and very
helpful.  I got to deal with their tech support tonight at a friends
house after work.  Unfortunately the tech support was from India and so
my friend couldn't understand them.  They also were unable to get her
modem provisioned today.  They have some Authentication server that the
support person figured was down.  Doesn't mean it was really down, that
was just her scripted response.  At least now I know what tech support
will be like.  Hope I never have to use it.  The deal maker will be that
I get free equipment and that the cost stays level for a year instead of
just a few months like they offered before.  This will probably end up
saving $20-30 a month and every bit helps.

I will be using IPCop still so using dyndns or a similar service is not
a problem.  They have built-in clients for handling the updates and
built-in PPPoE support to keep the connection alive.  As you say James,
I may need a Winders PC to run the software the first time.  I was
looking at my friend's and it looked like the software handled the
provisioning of the modem.  I may be able to do without it by having
tech support provision it, but who knows.

Again, thanks for all the advice.