anybody using SBC Yahoo DSL?

James Sissel jimsissel at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 6 14:39:59 CST 2005

I started with Telocity which was bought out by
DirecTV which folded and switched over to SBC service.
 When that happened I got a new 2wire DSL modem.  I
paid $200 for it (a ripoff) but was "reimbursed" by
lower monthly bills the first year.

I did setup via a Windows PC but it looked like it was
just using a webpage servered up by the modem.  I
think the address translated to 192.16.0.1 to talk to
the modem.  After I setup the modem I deleted all of
the installed software on the Windows PC.  I still
talk to the modem via a webpage and can download
updates and do all the administration.  Of course part
of the 150 Megs of crap software they install on the
Windows PC is a "monitoring" program for the modem so
they can serve me better.

I setup one Gentoo Linux PC by name in the DSL modem
and passed the IP address directly through to it and I
serve a simple set of webpages on it now.  I have an
account on http://www.dyndns.org/ but don't have the
software installed quite correctly on the Linux box to
update the IP address every time it changes.  Since I
have frequent power blinks at my house it sometimes
changes often.  I need to UPS the DSL modem in the
basement.

I have never noticed an outage.  I have never had to
call customer service.  I use paid Yahoo as my email
but see no reason I couldn't setup other servers.  I
have run SMTP servers on my Windows PC to send mail
out on occasion.

I have the $26.95 year contract.  The speed of the
downloads are often better than here at work.

Oh, the 2wire modem is also a DHCP server and firewall
so you just have to hook up a hub and then as many PCs
as you wish.