KNOPPIX 4.0 English DVD version released

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 21 17:00:14 CDT 2005

--- Jon Pruente <jdpruente at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, are they still using a compressed filesystem?
> That's one of my pet peeves about LiveCDs on older
> machines.

KNOPPIX 4.0 DVD uses a compressed filesystem on the
DVD.  According to the press materials, the 3GB ISO I
downloaded is a compressed filesystem holding 9GB of
applications and data.

Now, I must note that neither the German version nor
the English version has successfully gotten past the
initial boot screen on my HP Pavillion (2.93GHz
Celeron, 512MB RAM) so I haven't had the opportunity
to see the new KNOPPIX 4.0 for myself.

> Having to read, decompress, then run an app takes
> way too long on a slower system with little RAM.
> Swapping to disk (if setup) makes it a tad easier
> to run stuff, but is slow none-the-less.

Yes, I do have a spare 90Mhz Pentium Laptop but with
only 16MB RAM it just doesn't have the power to run
most LiveCDs (or for that matter the *installer* on
the flashier Linux install CDs), so its not really a
good demo machine.