KNOPPIX 4.0 English DVD version released

Jon Pruente jdpruente at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 13:34:42 CDT 2005

So, are they still using a compressed filesystem?  That's one of my
pet peeves about LiveCDs on older machines.  Having to read,
decompress, then run an app takes way too long on a slower system with
little RAM.  Swapping to disk (if setup) makes it a tad easier to run
stuff, but is slow none-the-less.  It's one of my problems with Puppy.
 Puppy is fast, and totally RAM resident, but they have a 150+ mb
distro squeezed into a 64MB RAM space so just launching an app
requires the wait for it to copy stuff around in RAM and decompress
it.  Puppy actually ran faster from the HDD on a old K6 system than as
a RAM resident LiveCD, as it was all ready to run as soon as it hit
the RAM.