WAS: Open Source 3D Games

Jon Pruente jdpruente at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 00:11:30 CDT 2005

Does having a frame rate faster than you can see really help the
gameplay?  I'd be inclined to think that by freeing up some CPU time
the system would be more responsive to input and thus feel faster.
How different is 100fps vs. 60fps?  I've read the fps speed claims
before, but not having personal experience, I dunno if it is really
any better if your brain can't comprehend all those extra frames.
I've been thinking lately that gamers are approaching the drag race
effect:  They get going so fast that they go by muscle memory and luck
more than critical evaluation.  I know there is some strategy to the
actual game, but how many times do I watch people play and it's point
the gun and spray a dozen shots instead of squeeze off one or two.