WAS: Open Source 3D Games

Justin Dugger jldugger at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 12:23:55 CDT 2005

A couple of notes here reguarding FPS. A higher average FPS usually
means a higher minimum fps.  But most people would far rather control
for themselves the options that trade quality for render speed.  As an
example, in Battlefield 2 (BF2), one can set a draw distance. Lowering
it will cut down the number of polys the engine needs to handle, but
it also cuts visibility.  The difference between 60 and 100 FPS is
generally the difference between waiting for vblank or not.  The extra
oomph increases slack time, so you miss fewer deadlines to draw on the
screen.  Otherwise, you get "tearing", where the upper half-ish region
of the screen is drawn from one point in time, and the rest of the
screen is drawn from the newer time frame. This is easily noticable
when you look left or right, or up or down.

I shouldn't need to mention that the difference between 30 and 60 is
great. I get BF2 to run at about 43 fps average and its noticable,
especially during dust particle intensive artillery strikes.  But some
do cap the performance at 60. I think the original halflife did so
with a variable called maxfps.

Developers have attempted a few scaling mechanisms, but it generally
doesn't work out well for them.  I can't remember the game they were
considering this for, but one of the iD or former iD members was
considering a dynamic poly culling system that would reduce the number
of polys in a model based on performance and size on screen.  I don't
think it went well for them.

Justin Dugger