Open Source 3D Games

Justin Dugger jldugger at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 16:53:32 CDT 2005

> I just don't understand an industry that is remarkably
> similar to requiring people to upgrade their cars just
> to be able to play a new music CD in their car CD
> player.

Oh, I very much agree that PC gaming is in a serious decline.  The
battlefield 2 syndrome (you could probably attribute that to a more
popular game, if I could figure out which one) is very detrimental
sales.  So much so that when Microsoft presented the X-Box as a PC
developer friendly platform, many left and never looked back, and
others just decided to half-ass the PC platform for a fistful of
dollars more.  Thief 3 would be an excellent example of such
shennanigans.

But I've not seen many open source games that are of high quality,
that even comes close to five years ago. Most of the ones that are,
come from the results of a single guy working hard to clone a game he
liked before (crack-attack, wesnoth,  armegettron).  Partly, game
authors on the PC need to start looking towards smaller, simpler games
than the massive 'partake in a joint operations military strike,
fighting from base to base in a set of vehicles in the dusty dunes of
Iraq, working your way up from soldier grunt to squad leader to
divisional commander.' They're massive undertakings that rarely win
back their investment, and they begin to all sound alike.