Open Source 3D Games

Justin Dugger jldugger at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 20:49:18 CDT 2005

There's lots more to open source 3d gaming than just First person
shooters. Most of them also have a linux version, provided the
developers didn't choose directX for their game.

There's crack-attack, a tetris attack clone that plays well.  There's
also Glest, which looks something like Warcraft 3 from the
screenshots.  Kenta Cho has some great 2d shooters that use 3d
graphics. There's also Armegetron, a neat Tron lightcycles game with
decent multiplayer aspects.  GL-117 is an okayish air force game.

If you know where to look, you can find a lot of good open source
games.  I think one of the remaining barriers to Linux gaming is a
decent website that focuses on open source games.  Happypengiun is
neat, but the web design needs... a makeover.  The whole site looks
like it was designed using placeholder art and then decided to go live
with what they had when they heard what artists charge for that stuff.
 The ratings system is a bit strange, not becaues it uses 5 starts,
but that the ratings aren't tied to any specific version. If a game
doesn't run, it gets one star, even if the bug is fixed the next day.
And hardly anybody posts or reviews.

So yea, the games you mentioned are okay, but they kinda suck for
similar reasons to the ones that plague happypengiun.

Justin Dugger