Open Source 3D Games

Justin Dugger jldugger at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 13:01:04 CDT 2005

In related news, Carmack has declared that iD software will be
releasing the quake3 source code under the GPL shortly.  This had been
expected earlier this year, but had been pushed back to accommodate a
recent liscencee of the code who's game had not yet made it to market.
 I wonder if the return to castle wolfenstein engine is signficantly
different than the q3 engine.  If not, perhaps those people who refuse
to "support closed source software" by playing free binary only games,
will have an opportunity to enjoy enemy fortress!

Of course, there is also the concern over cheating made simple with
open source.  The strongest protection q3 has at the moment isn't
PunkBuster, but the fact that there's bigger targets to go after, like
Halflife2 and Doom3.  Some people are even of the opinion that when iD
releases the code, it destroys what remaining community these games
had by inviting cheaters to rampage amongst the servers.  Personally,
I think that this is a failing of the server design.  If a player is
being excessively disruptive, there should be a social mechanism in
place via the server to manage, arbitrate and facilitate the
curtailing of that disruptive player, either by kick\bans or other
means of punishment.  This is probably one of the most important
aspects of multiplayer gaming that has gone unsolved, but not for a
lack of trying.

Justin Dugger.