Educational discount on RHEL for your RHCT/RHCE exam.

aaron hirsch aaronh at uptime.net
Thu Aug 4 19:56:18 CDT 2005

> First off, RedHat couldn't pay me enough to run their distro. on any
> critical server of mine.

Maybe not, but I bet your cert helped get you out of what was most
likely a shit hole job with a shit hole manager!  Although rumor has it
you miss the place...

> Secondly, having received the RHCE a year or two back, I think it's a
> joke. You don't need to know RedHat specific stuff, you don't need to
know > teir GUIs either, although, if you don't know the configs, the
GUIs will
> help a bit. I mean, who wants to bust open X and a GUI just to add a
damn
> user? I passed the RHCE with a fairly high percentage<think it was
96-97>, > for not knowing 'RedHat', though I've been runing Linux since
the mid 90s.

Oh...you're so much better than everyone else mr. 90+%...should we all
share how we did on the test or were you just trying to make yourself
feel big?

> If you can get your way around a Linux box, you should be fine. They
base
> it on 'getting the job done', not how you do it. Whether you use
useradd >to add a user, or the GUI, as long as it gets done. Whether you
use the >redhat-config-apache/whatever tool to configure apache, or edit
the config >files... as long as it's done and working to the specs they
provide.  If  >all else fails, read the man page, or use find to find
the config >files,RedHat puts some of them in weird places. =]

I agree with you that redhat specific knowledge wasn't really required
to pass the test and that I don't remember using a GUI to config
anything either.  Knowing Linux in general, know where config files are
located, how to configure services, and how to read man pages on what
you are fuzzy on does go along way.

You are a bitter little man aren't you?!

This e-mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above.
It may contain confidential information.  If you are not the intended
recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution
or copying of this e-mail and any attachment(s) is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify
the sender by replying to this e-mail and delete the message and any
attachment(s) from your system.