Educational discount on RHEL for your RHCT/RHCE exam.

David Ambs dave at ambs.net
Thu Aug 4 08:36:02 CDT 2005

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Leo Mauler wrote:
>  Not exactly.  CentOS has all the same software, so you
>  could run a server on CentOS like on RHEL, but the
>  word "redhat" is not found anywhere in CentOS.  This
>  is because RedHat is being strict about their IP and
>  refusing to allow free rebuilds to use the word
>  "redhat" in their rebuilds.
>
>  The RHCE exam preparation textbook I have tells me I
>  need to remember and use several GUI configuration
>  tools in RHEL because some of them are faster than
>  doing it in the CLI.  These GUI configuration tools
>  are named things like "redhat-config-network" and
>  "redhat-config-users".

First off, RedHat couldn't pay me enough to run their distro. on any critical
server of mine.

Secondly, having received the RHCE a year or two back, I think it's a joke. You
don't need to know RedHat specific stuff, you don't need to know their GUIs
either, although, if you don't know the configs, the GUIs will help a bit. I
mean, who wants to bust open X and a GUI just to add a damn user? I passed the
RHCE with a fairly high percentage<think it was 96-97>, for not knowing
'RedHat', though I've been runing Linux since the mid 90s.
If you can get your way around a Linux box, you should be fine. They base it on
'getting the job done', not how you do it. Whether you use useradd to add a
user, or the GUI, as long as it gets done. Whether you use the
redhat-config-apache/whatever tool to configure apache, or edit the config
files... as long as it's done and working to the specs they provide.  If all
else fails, read the man page, or use find to find the config files, RedHat
puts some of them in weird places. =]

As much as I hate Redhat, I'll admit the RHCE on the resume does bump up the
hits on monster a bit.. Although, I can honestly say I don't think it makes a
difference as to where you get interviews. Still experience more then anything.
At my current place of employment, I don't even think they
knew what the RHCE was when I interviewed.... I only took the test because it
was free from a previous employer =]

-dave