ISP recommendations

encieno at mirage.org encieno at mirage.org
Fri May 28 15:50:15 CDT 2004

> >Another problem with DSL is that it is rather difficult to share it
over a
> >router. YMMV, but a friend of mine chose to break his contract with SBC
> >DSL rather than put up with only one computer at a time connected to
> >broadband Internet.
>
> Your friend either needs a better router or needs to RTFM for the one he has. Any home networking
router should be configureable for PPPoE...and therefore will keep the connection up 24/7 and
available to any node on the network.  My Barricade has worked flawlessly with SBC. It worked
flawlessly with cable before that, it was just the (Comcast) cable that sucked.

Exactly. Saying that you can't run multiple computers on a dsl/most any
connection, is fairly
insane. What exactly was going on, that made him decide he couldn't NAT
local stuff over his DSL? I had comcast prior to SBC, in Indep. it plain
sucks. It would go down often, and just generally piss me off.(than again,
I used to work for both TW and Comcast, and they wouldnt come out and fix
the *real* problem, replacing my modem every 3 weeks was stupid).
 I've had SBC now for 6 months or so, the speed package I got is awesome,
it RARELY goes down, and runs fine with IPCop and all 13 machines on my little
network. I would recommend "networking for dummies" or something to your
friend. =]

-dave