I need help on an MTA program.

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Sat May 22 18:46:42 CDT 2004

Greg Kedrovsky wrote:
> I know I'm asking for problems asking for opinions. I am _not_ looking
> at starting a flame war. I'm just looking for some experienced advice on
> how to get mail in and out of my network.
<snip>
> So, maybe it's time to check into other MTAs. Should I? Which ones?

I'd suggest exim or qmail.  Sendmail is hard to understand and configure
(as you have found out).  PostFix is a solid MTA, but tries to emulate
sendmail's configuration for all those admins with lots of sendmail
experience (ie it's also hard to configure, unless you're comfortable
with sendmail).

Exim and qmail are good MTA's with simple, easy to understand
configuration mechanisms.  I'd personally recommend exim for a few reasons:

- It's the default MTA for debian
- You can do things like smtp-auth and spam-checking w/o having to patch
the source
- You don't have to comiple it from source unless you want to

Really, any of the 4 major MTA's (sendmail, postfix, exim, or qmail)
would work fine for a small network, so just browse through the docs for
each, and see which makes the most sense to you.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net