I need help on an MTA program.

Greg Kedrovsky greg at iglesia-del-este.com
Sat May 22 18:06:27 CDT 2004

I know I'm asking for problems asking for opinions. I am _not_ looking
at starting a flame war. I'm just looking for some experienced advice on
how to get mail in and out of my network.

I currently use sendmail. I've configured and recongifured the thing
(successfully) 3 or 4 times now. But, it's way over my head. Hard to
understand. Not straightforward, etc.

Would anyone suggest another, easier to use or easier to configure or
more secure, MTA.

I've heard a lot of good things about Exim, but it looks huge. There's
also Postfix, right? And Qmail?

I have a small LAN, nothing use. Most of my mail needs are simple at the
time being - less than 20 users in the near future.

The problem that brought this all on was having to go from cable modem
(permanent connection) to dial-up. I don't know what sendmail is doing
with my mail when I write and "send" off-line. If I'm on-line, it gets
sent out fine. But, if I write off line and then connect to send... I
have no idea where my mail is or went.

I've tried for days to get sendmail configured correctly to send with
"sendmail -q" but I haven't got it, yet. I've hosed my system 10 times
already today trying to get it to work, and if I hadn't made back-ups,
I'd be up the stinkin proverbial creek looking for a paddle.

So, maybe it's time to check into other MTAs. Should I? Which ones?

Thanks ahead of time.

-Greg

--
Mutt 1.4.1i on Slackware 9.1 Linux