I need help on an MTA program.

Kendrick-LUG kulua at linux2themax.com
Sat May 22 23:13:13 CDT 2004

Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> Greg Kedrovsky wrote:
>
>> I know I'm asking for problems asking for opinions. I am _not_ looking
>> at starting a flame war. I'm just looking for some experienced advice on
>> how to get mail in and out of my network.
>
> <snip>
>
>> So, maybe it's time to check into other MTAs. Should I? Which ones?
>

> I'd suggest exim or qmail.  Sendmail is hard to understand and
> configure (as you have found out).  PostFix is a solid MTA, but tries
> to emulate sendmail's configuration for all those admins with lots of
> sendmail experience (ie it's also hard to configure, unless you're
> comfortable with sendmail).

I hanve never used exim so i cant say for that.   sendmail was a
nightmare needing a phd i didnt have ;)     as for qmail...   it has a
great amount of flexability for what it can do aslong as you can fully
understand the doc's  I had never ben able to fully comprehend the docs
and could not get what was needed done taken care of.  imo.  if you have
a fair ammount of time to dedicate to setup/modifications qmail will
trump all.  considering your sendmail experiance i think you would be
able to better understand postfix.  I have ran postfix for 4+ years now
and it has ben easy to find and correct any errors in the system.   the
docs or howto's can be understood with out spending a week on it.   I
will not say that postfix is better then qmail  because from a code
standpoint i highly doubt it is.  however i do beleve postfix is a fair
ammount easier to properly configure for more simple needs.   in a large
commercial environment i would use qmail and spend a lot of time to get
to fully understand it.  for private work i would tend to lean towards
postfix for simplicity and easier to understand  directions