Using a router server to filter the Internet?

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Wed May 5 02:43:04 CDT 2004

On Tue, 04 May 2004 08:06:30 -0500 Jason Clinton <me at jasonclinton.com>
writes:
> On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 22:36, Leo J Mauler wrote:
> > However, what exactly are they doing to accomplish
> > the server-side Internet filtering?  I'm presuming some
> > sort of HTTP proxy and IP address blocking, but are
> > there other elements to use as well?
>
> ... or you could let a 14 year old go through normal sexual
> development but we've already had that flam ewar ... If I
> were going to violate my principles, I'd use an HTTP logger
> to log the said teenager's traffic and then let him know that
> he's being watched. Probably a better parrenting approach,
> anyways. Set up expectations to be met individually, etc,
> etc...

Oh don't get me started about the disagreement I have with the
grandparents about the nephew's natural sexual interests. I just don't
get into trying to persuade my father-in-law to do anything he isn't
already inclined to do.

The weird thing about it is that [a] running a HTTP logger would be just
what my father-in-law wants, and [b] he's not technical enough to
understand how to get to the log files, let alone read them.