Using a router server to filter the Internet?

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Wed May 5 02:43:03 CDT 2004

On Tue, 04 May 2004 10:17:30 -0500 Jason Clinton <me at jasonclinton.com>
writes:
> On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 08:29, Brian Kelsay wrote:
> > It can also use Blacklists from SquidGuard and/or
> > Dan's.
>
> Ya know, I was just thinking about being 16. If my
> parents had tried something like this, I probably
> would have cracked it in a matter of days. I would
> convince my father than I needed SSH (22) out of
> the firewall for 'programming with my friends on the
> internet' and then I'd VPN tunnel over SSH to one
> of my many buddies in the Netherland or Russia.
> I'd generate sufficient local web traffic to make it
> appear that nothing had changed and do all my
> questionable surfing via international proxy.
>
> Just some thoughts. Granted, most kids wouldn't be
> able to accomplish something like this but I think the
> point is that kids will find it /somehow/ no matter
> what you do.

Yes, I realize that any attempt at Internet filtering on a teenager's
home computer is merely a challenge rather than a wall to his acquisition
of porn.

Fortunately, the teenager in question is not technical, and things he
takes apart tend to remain in pieces rather than being reassembled or
improved.  :)  I'm hoping that his strong ADHD will do what is needed to
keep him from overcoming the filtering solutions.