MS Access (was Re: knoppix)

Richard Piper rmpiper at everestkc.net
Sat Mar 20 05:04:27 CST 2004

<rant mode>

Okay, I can't let this go on any longer. MS Access is NOT integrated into
Office, except for the installation CD. That is why "people know about its
integration with M$ Office". Here's integration: to import data from a MS
Excel spreadsheet, you have to install an extra driver. From a different
disk. And then it screws up the import by automatically assigning "Text" as
the column type for most cells. Then has the gall to error out any
numerical data as an "incorrect data type".

To say nothing about the fact that MS Access is NOT FREE. Yes there are
some pre-loaded computers with MS Office Professional, but you have paid
for it regardless.

The fact is that MS _advertises_ MS Office, and spends a lot of money to
convince people that MS Office will solve all business communication
problems. (Right...) No one is advertising OOo, few retail stores have it
and when I have suggested it as a FREE alternative, my non-technical
friends just ignore me, and pay for MS Office, and not the Pro version, either.

On the other hand, how many copies of MS Works are there out there? A
Zillion? All with a (nearly useless) integrated database.

Phew!

</rant mode>
Richard Piper